Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Vanity Tables, Valentine's Day and A Lady Named Vonda...

Sesame Street called and they said today is brought to us by the letter V.  

I'm flippin' off the camera with the wrong finger.
Did you know my nickname used to be Sesame?  I probably told you once.  My first boyfriend when I was four years old couldn't say Stephanie and always called me Sesame.  That's okay because I couldn't say his name and instead of it coming out as Christopher, it came out as Kissifer.  My two older sisters and younger brother would call me Sesame because I loved Sesame Street.  They would sing a song "Sesame lives on Sesame Street, doo-dah, doo-dah" to torment me.  In return they were known as Baa-Baa Black Sheep (Becky), Lee Ann Pee Pan (Lee Ann) and Mikey Pikey Sat On A Trikey (Michael).  Later we would tease Michael even further by singing "Happy Tasting Apple Jacks" whenever we wanted to bug him.  He knew what we meant by singing that jingle.  We knew what we meant.  Our parents did NOT know that "Happy Tasting Apple Jacks" really meant "Hailey, Tiffany, Amber, and Jennifer" - the four little girls in the neighborhood we would tease him about.  Sneaky sisters we were!

On to a lady named Vonda.  Today we are going to visit Vonda of Antiqued With Love based in Gilbertown, Alabama.  When Vonda decided to purchase this vanity after seeing it advertised for sale she was too late.  Another person had offered to buy it.  As luck would have it, that sale fell through and Vonda had it in her possession.  

The vanity had it's issues but nothing that Vonda hadn't seen before.  She decided to do a paint/stain combo on it.  She sanded it down, primed it, and painted two coats of Valspar Signature Latex Satin in Lovely Bluff on the body.  Then she distressed it and dark glazed it to give it an antiqued look .  For the top she stained it Java gel stain and then sealed it with polyurethane.

This color combination really looks good on this piece.  See for yourself...
Beautiful.  Let's look at a couple of more pictures...

Alas, this vanity sold before she even finished it's transformation so if you were hoping your honey would buy it for you for Valentine's Day, you are out of luck.  


Speaking of Valentine's Day, it seems like just yesterday that my own honey and I traveled all over the countryside looking for a vanity table to redo for me as a Valentine's Day gift.  It was one of our first flips together.  When we were finished, my husband wanted to be sure I would always remember how much he loved me, if I ever felt like clobbering him with the chair.  (Would I do that? Hehehe...no.)  He wrote me this sweet message on the bottom of the chair.  We still laugh about it and I have yet to pick it up and swing it at him.  We completed that flip four years ago today!  It's a sweet memory and I'm grateful for the hard work that went into that.  
Even more recently, as our vanity table now has it's own little alcove to sit in.  Yes, we measured the vanity and planned the closets my husband built on either side of it.  (You gotta love living in an old home that literally only has (had) one closet in the entire house.)  Forgive the picture, it's a hard room to photograph with a cellphone.  
 
Let's talk about Vonda again.  You've seen her work here before.  (Get your flip in so we can see your work here, too!)  Three times previous to be exact!  (See readers, you can submit more than one flip and be featured more than one time!)  We saw her sweet Owl chest of drawers.  

And another vanity table...

and a beautiful china cabinet.  She takes a lot of pride in her work and it shows.

Thanks so much Vonda for sharing your gorgeous vanity!  You can find Vonda on her Antiqued With Love Facebook page.  Let her know you saw her on Furniture Flippin'!

Three flips down, two more to go this week  Will yours be one of them?
See you tomorrow!
~ Stephanie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back! I'd love to hear from you.