Thursday, December 12, 2013

'Twas Two Weeks Before Christmas..

...and all through the house, Stephanie was all frazzled with presents in doubt.  Her list was beside her, the checkbook nearby, but nary a thought would come to her mind.  She spent time online, searching for gifts.  When it came time to write, she became filled with fright.  Not a word she could form, nor a sentence complete.  She turned to her friend and admitted defeat.  Slowly Stephanie silently crept, onto the Facebook page that Kelli kept.  It was there that she found, the greatest gift that abound.  She would take Kelli's posts and pictures, too.  She'd copy them word for word, that's what she'd do.  So, it is this post below, which isn't Steff's prose, but rather words that Kelli had chose...

Kelli from Pretty Painted Things & Other Things That Make Me Happy.  That Kelli.  From here on out, until I tell you otherwise, this is from Kelli's mouth to your eyes.  (Or ears, depending on if you read out loud or not.)

In addition to painting, I LOVE to meet people.  I'm one of those people that doesn't know a stranger and can make a friend standing in line at the DMV.  No joke.  Just ask my girls.  (Just like her friend Stephanie.  Some of my best conversations are with strangers while shopping at Kroger.  Oh, this is Stephanie by the way.  Carry on Kel!)

Jack and Diane were the sweetest couple in their 70s.  They were downsizing. They figured they hadn't been upstairs in their house for about 4 years, so it was time to move. I'd emailed Jack, then called to get directions.  Diane answered, and when she told me her name, the first thing that popped into my head was the Jack and Diane song, so of course I said, "Hey! Just like the song".  She said it was "their song".  Adorable and they had great furniture for me to buy.  In addition to a vanity, I bought this mid-century modern desk.  It was a real find!

I knew I wanted to paint a black desk, so that's where I started. The rest sort of evolved.

 














I'd finished the majority of the desk, and had been to several fabric stores in search of the perfect fabric. I knew when I saw this silver and black brocade, this was it!
 
More is better with this desk, so I added the stencil to the cane back. 

 


The mirrored, silver oversized knobs were exactly what I had in mind.  (Look at the stenciled detail Kelli put around the knobs.  Attention to detail is what you get with a  piece of furniture Kelli has done - Steph again!)
 

A bright blue drawer and blue and white chevron paper are a sweet surprise when you open the drawers.

 



I used Maison Blanche La Craie in Wrought Iron for the majority of the desk and chair. I used a high gloss black for the accents. I really like that subtle accents can have big impact.

Back to me!  It's Stephanie from here on out.  I'm like the emcee today and Kelli is the talent.  Now she's off stage and I'm finishing up the last act of this show.  Let's take a look at a few more pictures of this gorgeous makeover...

And one more...

As always, Kelli produces amazing results.  You might recall she's been featured here in the past.  I showed you another amazing desk back in May that left me speechless.  A "Zentangle" inspired chair in July.  Then I showed you a bedroom set she made over in August when I proclaimed her the Queen of the No Before Picture People.  Kelli is a good sport because when my mind is a blank, she will answer my distress call.  You can see more of Kelli's fabulous furniture on her Pretty Painted Things & Other Things That Make Me Happy Facebook Page.  Her "other things that make her happy" are equally fabulous.  (You'll also find yourself hungry with some of the posts.)  Head on over there and let her know you saw her on Furniture Flippin'.  Thank her if you will be so kind, because otherwise you'd be looking at a blank page right now.   

Dear readers, do me a favor.  Let's assume your family and friends don't read this blog.  Leave me a comment telling me the best gift you have bought so far this Christmas season.  I seriously need ideas.  Male or female, ages 12 through adult, give me assistance.  

See you tomorrow!
~ Stephanie 

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful attention to details. Steph, we have a tradition in the house to buy Just Dance for Christmas every year. Good thing they always come out with a new one every season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like decorating with different styles, colors, and patterns is modern and fresh furniture. Thank you so much for your great post and pictures are really very awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her attention to details, those little stencils around the knobs are such a unique touch and a nice surprise! A beautiful transformation, the fabric she chose is perfect for the set. Fantastic!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk back! I'd love to hear from you.