Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Some Guys Have All The Luck...

...seriously!  One of those guys is my husband.  Hehehe.  The other guy would be Dennis from Cripple Creek Woodworks.  First of all, he is married to the sweetest lady named Caren.   Secondly, he has ALL THE LUCK when it comes to finding awesome roadside relics aka hitchhiking pieces of furniture.  

Now, we've all found our share of discarded furniture laying on the side of the road.  I recently found this one...



WAIT A MINUTE!  Back the Durango up!  "Why is Stephanie showing us something she found if this piece is about Cripple Creek Woodworks?"  I can assure you dear readers I am not trying to steal his limelight.  It would be IMPOSSIBLE to do that once you see the after of two of his recent finds.  No, instead Dennis did not take BEFORE PICTURES!!  I don't care how many times I lecture you all about taking before pictures, there is always a few of you who still forget!  Dennis!!  (Caren - you need to be in charge of before pictures.  I know I can count on you!)

Dennis found both of the tables in today's feature by the side of the road.  Both of them were missing their glass tops.  Did that stop Dennis?  Heck no!  He's a third generation woodworker!  He took these tables back to his shop, made them new beautiful wood tops and prettied up their bases.  

Check them out...let's look at the first one.  It has a wrought iron base that he painted teal and then rubbed a bronze toner over the details.  He added a reclaimed Long Leaf pine top, that was from a home built in 1845.  It was bladder sanded on the edges to give it a natural worn look. (Hey folks, this one is available.  I think YOU should buy it.)

And a close up at the details...

This next table was missing it's glass top and Dennis removed the wood frame that held the glass.  He replaced it with an American Walnut Plank top that he hand scraped and bladder sanded.  The base was painted with Annie Sloan Chalk paint and then glazed.  The top was lacquered and waxed.  This one ISN'T available because Caren wanted it for herself.  Can't say I blame her.

And let's look a little closer at this one, too...

Pretty gorgeous if you ask me!  Beautiful job!

Cripple Creek Woodworks is a Texas-based specialty woodshop, specializing in handcrafted, quality workmanship. Combining modern tools and techniques with time-honored traditional methods and vintage tools, Dennis can achieve any look you desire.  Some of the tools he uses date back to 1906.  You can check out more of his work on the Cripple Creek Woodworks website.  For you Facebook fanatics, he is also on there, too.  Head on over to his Facebook page and let him know you saw him on Furniture Flippin'.  

Thanks so much Dennis (and Caren who told me of your lucky roadside finds) for sharing your spectacular furniture flips!

Don't forget dear readers, your comments are always welcome here on the blog, too.  If you have a furniture flip you'd like to submit, email me your BEFORES and afters plus all the details to furnitureflippin@yahoo.com .  Now go find some discarded pieces of furniture and get to work!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I loved these two so much, they inspired me to do a couple of tables using some wood planks we found. I didn't paint our bases such pretty colors though, I think I will do that once we get the garage back together again. These turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Talk back! I'd love to hear from you.