Monday, January 27, 2014

She Got Plenty With A Twenty...

Say hello to Amanda of Reloved Home Designs.  Her story reads a lot like my own.  She's from Illinois.  (Like me.)  She is a bargain shopper.  (Like me.)  She became a stay at home mom 13 years ago after having worked outside the home for many years.  (So did I, but mine was 12 years ago.)  Once home, she needed a creative outlet and started a small crafting business.  (Just like me!  I started a pillow business.)  She loves old furniture and old homes.  (So do I.)  So, there.  She's just like me but she has something that I don't.  I'll get to THAT later.  First, I want to show you this cabinet that she scored for $20 on her local Craigslist.  (I have to stop a moment and chastise all of the people on OUR local Craigslist that price their items way too high.  Get real.  You'd sell it faster if you lowered the outrageous price you are asking OR if you just cleaned off the top of it so we could actually SEE what it looked like.  A picture is worth a thousand words and a picture of old Uncle Hairy draped across the chair/dresser/cabinet does nothing to entice us to buy.) 

Rant over.

Amanda painted the entire cabinet using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White.  She distressed the entire cabinet by lightly sanding it and then she waxed it.  For the cabinet doors, Amanda writes, "I knew I wanted to do something special.  I just didn't know what that was, so I put the piece aside for a few days to figure out what I was going to do.   Just like most refurbishers, I save everything that I think I can use again.   I just finished up a Mid Century Mod chair (DID SHE EVER!) that needed a new cushion.  I had scraps of fabric left after it was complete.  The shade of blue was just amazing that I knew it would be perfect.  I was so happy when I started taking apart the doors and saw that it was made of several different pieces.  I didn't put all the pieces back on to keep the opening wider for the fabric to shine."

Amanda used Modge Podge as the glue and sealer but once it was dry, it felt rough.  So she lightly used a very fine steel wool to smooth it out.  

Let's take a look at all of her hard work...


I think it's gorgeous!  I love that pattern on the fabric.  Somebody else did, too.  Amanda posted it on her Reloved Home Designs Facebook page the night she finished it and it immediately sold.  Great job Amanda!  

Now, I want to show you a piece that Amanda has available for sale.  This is what she has that I don't.  Oh, if only I had room for it.  Check out this chair.  There it is before...

And here it is after...

Guess what?!?  It's for sale at the incredible price of $115.00!  You Mid Century Mod lovers better jump on that. (Then send me the pictures afterwards of it in your home.  We all love a good "happily ever after" story.)  

You can find Amanda on her Reloved Home Designs Facebook page.  She is based in Volo, Illinois.  Head on over there and let her know you saw her on Furniture Flippin'.

Thanks so much Amanda for sharing your fabulous furniture flip!

That begins another exciting week in our crusade against crappy furniture.  One more piece of furniture saved, 4 more to go to call this week complete.  What are you waiting for?  Submit your flip to me at furnitureflippin@yahoo.com .  Before/after pictures and a lot of info please.

Don't forget!  We are also accepting your witty comments here on the blog.  I get tired of reading just what I wrote.  So, place those fingers on that keyboard and start tapping away.

See you tomorrow!
~ Stephanie

3 comments:

  1. Love the cabinet redo and the fabric...... fantasticcccccccccccc!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Moroccan! Looks wonderful, Amanda. Stephanie, love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Amanda's cabinet and the material panels makes it even more lovelier :) Thanks for sharing!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Talk back! I'd love to hear from you.