Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Eye Sore No More!

Remember when you were a kid.  You only thought of your teachers as being, well, teachers.  It was strange when you'd run into them in public.  (Not for me though.  I was teacher's pet.  My first day of 1st Grade was my birthday and my teacher Mrs. Davis made me a cake and a card.  In 8th grade, my English teacher Mrs. Duffy had me babysit her daughter while she and Mr. Duffy, also a teacher, went bowling.  PLUS, she let me teach class every Friday and the kids had to call me Miss Graham.  In high school, one of my teachers, Mrs. Johnson, accompanied me and my mom to Chicago for a test for my first real job.  I can go on and on, but I think you get the picture.)  

Today we are going to get a glimpse into the lives of two teachers outside of school.  

Meet Marie and Meghan of Made Lovely M & M.  They describe themselves as two moms, teachers, crafters, weekend DIYers, friends and dreamers who have a passion for turning ugly, neglected, out-of-date pieces into something lovely.  Here's proof.  This is the "before" of one of their pieces.  They initially paid $10 for it at a garage sale...

They were getting ready to debut at the Kane County Flea Market in November and wanted some show stoppers.  If you have never been to the Kane County Flea Market (located in St. Charles, Illinois) then you are missing out.  It is THE place to go.  So, you should go.  Let me know when you'll be there and I'll trek that way, too.

Meghan said, "This piece was screaming for a two-toned look.  We enjoy creating lovely pieces that are unique but also neutral enough that it would work for the vast amount of buyers.  After it was painted, we were a bit torn on the hardware and didn't have a clear vision for them.  Marie voted on leaving it brass but polishing it up a bit.  I was leaning towards an oil-rubbed bronze.  So we decided to throw if up on Facebook and let our followers decide.  After much discussion, debate, and ideas... it was ruled that they should be left brass.  I have to say that after shining them up a bit- I agree!  What a beauty she is."

They did a two tone effect on it using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Coco and Old Ochre.  

Some wax and gentle distressing were next.  This lead to the gorgeous final result.  Check it out...

Isn't that lovely?  As in every flip we feature here...I want it.  I'm so torn.  Do my guest bedroom furniture like yesterday's flip or do it like today's flip?  If I don't stop this blog RIGHT NOW I'll continue to be conflicted.  

If you are conflicted about the way your furniture looks, might I suggest you contact Made Lovely M & M?  You can find them on their Made Lovely M & M Blog.  There you'll see more great examples of the beautiful work they do.  You can also tag along with them on their Made Lovely M & M Facebook page.  Check them out and let them know you saw them on Furniture Flippin'.   

Thanks so much Meghan and Marie for sharing your beautiful furniture flip!

We are over half-way through this week of furniture flips!  Have you submitted yours yet?  Email me before/after pictures and a ton of details to furnitureflippin@yahoo.com .  
See you tomorrow!
~ Stephanie 

5 comments:

  1. What a great vision by Meghan and Marie. This piece turned out beautiful. Love the two tone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks totally amazing! The two tones really made the piece pop and you get to see details that may have been overlooked in it's original all wood tones. I really like it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color combo is perfect. What a difference! :-)

      Delete
  3. This is a an awsome piece. Love the two tone color. The spindal pieces on the sides and the pieces in the door really stand out. They took a piece that was drab and made it amazing. The transformation is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Talk back! I'd love to hear from you.