Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Completely FREE Kitchen Cabinet Makeover

Today we are taking a look at a kitchen cabinet makeover that I and my Triple H* completed a short time ago in our own home.  

What I love about this makeover is that it was COMPLETELY FREE.  Yes, you heard me right, F - R - E - E!  

This cabinet originally looked like this...
That ^ was about 21 years ago.  "Cringe" @ the grapevine and white lights.  (It's not ceramic geese with blue scarves though so give me some credit!)  The cabinets were about 3 years old then.  Just the fronts of them were oak and the sides were simulated oak (Read: paper.)

Three years ago my friend Katalin and I applied beadboard to the cabinets, sanded, painted, sanded some more, stained the cabinets and added new hardware.  Disregard that we are missing wall trim, please...work in progress this dear old house.

When we were finished it looked like this... 
Big change.  Flash forward to 2013 and I was eyeing that cabinet thinking it still needed a major overhaul.  Actually the whole kitchen needed a facelift when it came to the countertop and backsplash.  Dated tile has to go.  This little bank of cabinets, well, there was no reason why it had to be matchy-matchy.  I'm frugal, though, and knew that I could upgrade it for free by taking apart one of two 100 year old cabinets I had in the garage and repurposing it into the backsplash and new counter.  Though this project isn't a piece of furniture per se, I did use a piece of furniture to create it. 

*Handsome handy husband and I set to work and when we finished we had this...


We love it!  To see the step by step process and more pictures, shoot on over to The Hardscrabble Home.    My favorite part of this project besides working with my guy was that it has some history to it.  I love when houses have history and a story to tell.  I'm glad that we could add another chapter to the story of our home.

1 comment:

  1. Turned out great! It's amazing what a little paint can do. I also like the finishing touches with counter top and backsplash.
    Thanks so much for sharing on Project Inspire{d}. Pinning :)
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Talk back! I'd love to hear from you.