Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Message Is Clearer Without The Mirror....

Raise your hand if you want to see a new use for an old object!  Well, we've got one for you that you are gonna love and it's all courtesy of the talented Kim of Pink Butterfly Decor.  Kim saw this sad and lonely 1980's era former dresser mirror in a thrift shop and knew she couldn't pass it by.  So what if it was missing it's mirror!  She had other plans for it.  She didn't even have to haggle for it because they were only asking $1.50 for it.  Consider that deal done!

Kim carted that baby home.  Her handsome handy husband set about fitting the mirror area with new wood which Kim promptly painted with chalkboard paint.  The dated brown wood frame was painted with some random leftover Valspar paint that she had in her stockpile of paint leftovers.  Then she applied her magic secret weapon...Valspar Antiquing Glaze to give it as she says, "that old funky, gunky aged appearance."  

Let's take a look at the after of this new use for an old (outdated) object, shall we?

Pretty cool!  Kim says she sells her painted pieces out of her home and almost everything she has can be bought.  With the exception of her hubby, kids, and this funky junky chalkboard transformation.  It hangs on the wall in her dining area.  It's her favorite thing and she's not about to part with it.  (She did share it though to inspire you or perhaps you can contact her and see what else she can make for you).

Kim says her baby girl, Allyson is responsible for the writing on the left and her son Brandon's Welcome Home (from Afghanistan) is on the right.  She wrote to me, "not sure how my 'Golden Child' Justin didn't get represented. Oops. Maybe he won't notice. hehehe..."  (Kim kind of sounds/writes like me!  Although I'd sell you my firstborn but he'd annoy you so much with his talking you'd want to return him within the week and I don't take returns.  Hehehehehe.  Sorry Zach!  I'm just kidding.  No worries, he doesn't read the blog.  Plus, he's a keeper.) 

You can find Kim on the Pink Butterfly Decor Facebook page.  There you can see what she is working on and what she currently has for sale.  She is based in Texas.  Head on over there and let her know you saw her on Furniture Flippin'.  

Thanks Kim for sharing your wonderful use of an old object!  I have a dresser mirror in my garage and I was just waiting for inspiration.  I think you just provided it!

If you have a new use of an old object or a furniture flip you'd like to share, you know what to do.  Email me at furnitureflippin@yahoo.com .  Quit making me tell you everyday.  Why put off until tomorrow what you can do today? 
See ya tomorrow!
~ Stephanie

 

4 comments:

  1. oh, this is a great re-use! Love finding new things to do with that old monster bedroom furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I have one sitting in my garage that we took off of our dresser. Hmmmm. I am going to have to take another look.

    ReplyDelete

Talk back! I'd love to hear from you.