Tuesday, October 15, 2013

There's No Cure For Flip-A-Holicism...

If you are a parent then you have seen your fair share of artwork from your child.  I, myself, have two self portraits and a painting of the Chicago skyline by my youngest son hanging on the wall of our family room.  Today's furniture flip had been sporting the artistic carvings by a young boy until Gina from Re-invintage got her hands on it. 

Gina is a self-described "flip-a-holic."  Hate to say it, but there's no cure for that.  Don't turn to me to stop you from it either because I'll be right there beside you saying, "Just one more!"  I'm a HUGE furniture enabler.  I also always have bacon in the fridge, so I can't help you kick your bacon habit either Gina.  (She admits that after her children and bacon, furniture is a big love in life.)  

So, Gina's friend Stacey had given her that old wooden student desk that her son had ever so artistically carved drawings in...with a knife...like a hunting knife!  Gina writes, "These weren't little dings and scratches...these were deep gouges all over the top and front.  I almost cried when I saw it.  A tear may have actually escaped.  Poor thing.  So, I fixed the wounds by filling the drawer fronts in first.  The cuts were so deep, I had to use auto filler in most of them."

Gina painted the body and drawers in Silent White.  After that, she lightly distressed it, and followed that up with dark and clear wax.  For the top, she sanded it and filled the remaining divots.  She chose a rich Chestnut stain and then poly'ed it.  The original hardware was kept and it looks fantastic.  

This desk makeover is gorgeous...

No sign at all of the many, many drawings the little artist had left.  That desk is a SURVIVOR!  

You can follow Gina along on all of her furniture adventures by visiting her Re-invintage Facebook page.  She is based in Jacksonville, Florida.  Let her know you saw her on Furniture Flippin'.  

Thanks Gina and Re-invintage for sharing your furniture flip!

Dear readers did you know we currently have openings for witty comments on this blog?  We do!  Feel free to peck away at that keyboard of yours and leave our flippers some praise and gratitude for rescuing sad woeful looking furniture.  

If you have a furniture flip you'd like to submit, then email me at furnitureflippin@yahoo.com .  Let's see what you are capable of doing!  

One last thing...here's a picture my son drew of me when he was about 6 years old.  Looks quite a bit like me, wouldn't you say?  Apparently, that day I was the Devil. 

See you bright and early tomorrow morning!
~ Stephanie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk back! I'd love to hear from you.